WWW.PROTu-154.org
Project Tupolev Team Forum Index Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Project Tupolev Team Forum Index » Yakovlev Yak42 Support Forum » Thank You
Thank You
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 09:51 Reply with quote
Stanner
Курсант

Gentlemen,

Thank you for all your help. I finally got the autopilot to work. I find that it is impossible for me to fly this aircraft for any length of time manually.
For me the autopilot is a must.

I did find that the autopilot did not intercept the course when I activated the "Course Approach" button. Also, the "GlidescopeHold" button did not fly the ILS. Is this because the sim is still in a BETA mode, with refinements yet to come?

Again, thank you.
Stanner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:30 Reply with quote
ha5mvo
КВС

You're welcom!
As for the autopilot....here's the deal the way I see it:
I agree, it does seem a bit rough around the edges. It does a good job in holding altitude, pitch, manual pitch adjustments (as long as you are gentle on the "mini stick").
In handling turns, it does behave somewhat "nervously" and seems to overshoot and overcompensate on sharp turns.

ILS interception...first, you need to have the HSI needle set to the exact magnetic heading of your runway. If you don't approach the localizer at a very wide angle, the autopilot would capture it fairly well (pressing the localizer button arms it and it becomes active only once the localizer is alive).
The glideslope is a different story...you need to hit the button EXACTLY when the GS bar is in the middle. You'll also need to be at the correct speed (Vref for the current flaps position is given on the shift + 8 page).
Having said all that, the AP still tends to "chase the needles" resulting in oscilations. I admit I did manage to nail it a couple of times but overall had way more failures. In all honesty, I prefer to disconnect the AP at this point and take it manualy. The plane flies VERY smooth if you keep your numbers right.
I have never seen, let alone set foot on a real Yak-42, so I obviously can't comment on how realistic is the AP's behaviour in that respect.

Questions about further development should best be answered by su-30 or Vlad (UR5WCW) from the development team. From what I know, there's an SP1 coming up to adress some of the mistakes/bugs in the model.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 20:35 Reply with quote
UR5WCW
Курсант

ha5mvo wrote:
You're welcom!
As for the autopilot....here's the deal the way I see it:
I agree, it does seem a bit rough around the edges. It does a good job in holding altitude, pitch, manual pitch adjustments (as long as you are gentle on the "mini stick").
In handling turns, it does behave somewhat "nervously" and seems to overshoot and overcompensate on sharp turns.

Hi Michael!
This aircraft turnes in this way, it does not have busters or any other kind of helpfull thing for stearing. It just flies as you see it, with very sharp banking and so on.

Quote:

ILS interception...first, you need to have the HSI needle set to the exact magnetic heading of your runway. If you don't approach the localizer at a very wide angle, the autopilot would capture it fairly well (pressing the localizer button arms it and it becomes active only once the localizer is alive).

Just one more thing to add - the flight track - the diffirence between your flight course and landing course must not be more than 90 degrees. Our AP can handle this difference. At practical side - those courses where this difference is more than 90 degrees are incorrect.

Quote:

The glideslope is a different story...you need to hit the button EXACTLY when the GS bar is in the middle. You'll also need to be at the correct speed (Vref for the current flaps position is given on the shift + 8 page).
Having said all that, the AP still tends to "chase the needles" resulting in oscilations. I admit I did manage to nail it a couple of times but overall had way more failures. In all honesty, I prefer to disconnect the AP at this point and take it manualy. The plane flies VERY smooth if you keep your numbers right.
I have never seen, let alone set foot on a real Yak-42, so I obviously can't comment on how realistic is the AP's behaviour in that respect.

No Michael, that is not correct exectly - say such an example -
Your height is 1200 metersand you are 30 km off. The glideslope entering point is at 900 meters and 20 km. When you hit the "course" button you are on course, so when the glideslope pointer is passing its' zero position, "glideslope" mode will switch automatically. But if you want to hit it yourself, that's OK. And exactly as you say - you have to hold recommended speeds.
The AP at this a/c is very close to the real one. Our pilots here turn off the autoapproach also. So, the AP must not be better in FS then in a real life. Улыбка

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 02:51 Reply with quote
ha5mvo
КВС

OK,
Letting it capture the glideslope automaticall seems to do a much better job at keeping it stable on approach!
I still have a few questions though...

1) The screen shows the ILS captured both LOC and GS are active but the LOC is not fully aligned (the yellow NDB needle points at the outer marker, btw). It will get fully aligned eventually (exactly over the outer marker) but it maintains that "offset" for quite some time - Is that how its supposed to be?

2) Should BOTH 1kat and 2kat be on?

3) When the AT is engaged, signals come from BOTH it and the manual throttle. sometimes the manual throttle overrides the automatic, sometimes not...I'm not sure what to do with the throttle lever so it won't interfere with the operation of the AT

4) When I move the AT's speed index down I sometimes get the red "UPR V" warning light flashing (it goes off when the speed catches up with the index) - What does it mean and what should I do to avoid it?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 22:52 Reply with quote
UR5WCW
Курсант

HI Michael!

ha5mvo wrote:
OK,
Letting it capture the glideslope automaticall seems to do a much better job at keeping it stable on approach!
I still have a few questions though...

1) The screen shows the ILS captured both LOC and GS are active but the LOC is not fully aligned (the yellow NDB needle points at the outer marker, btw). It will get fully aligned eventually (exactly over the outer marker) but it maintains that "offset" for quite some time - Is that how its supposed to be?

It can occur when AP is trying to reach the course.
I will explane this at this little example.
Assume the landing course is 90
You fly with 180 degrees. Activate the КУРС-ЗОНА switch.
Nothing will change at PKP untill green pointer will cross zero position of course deflection. Now, you'll be missed a little. AP will turn, trying to get the 90 degrees course and will set the course 60. So, AP will align the plane at 30 degrees angle to the landing course. And then it will gently align the plane to 90 degrees.
That's how it works.

Quote:

2) Should BOTH 1kat and 2kat be on?

Yes, the have to be on while automatic approach.

Quote:

3) When the AT is engaged, signals come from BOTH it and the manual throttle. sometimes the manual throttle overrides the automatic, sometimes not...I'm not sure what to do with the throttle lever so it won't interfere with the operation of the AT

That could be a bug from an old joy-service. Just let's wait a little more, SP1 is almost ready.

Quote:

4) When I move the AT's speed index down I sometimes get the red "UPR V" warning light flashing (it goes off when the speed catches up with the index) - What does it mean and what should I do to avoid it?
Thanks!

That's right, UPR.V is indicating that IAS and IAS HOLD difference is more than 50 km/h. You have to try not to change IAS hold so quickly. Difference more than 50 km/h is forbidden.

Thank You
 Project Tupolev Team Forum Index » Yakovlev Yak42 Support Forum