WWW.PROTu-154.org
Список форумов Project Tupolev Team Вход Регистрация FAQ Пользователи Поиск

Список форумов Project Tupolev Team » Hangar Talk » Flight Simulator 9/X flight startup
Flight Simulator 9/X flight startup
СообщениеДобавлено: Сб Мар 26, 2016 22:18 Ответить с цитатой
voronezh
Курсант

For me Microsoft's flight simulator has a number of major strengths. Firstly it supports add-ons which completely transform the basic product. Secondly it has a model of the whole world. It also has the ability to save flights although the reloaded flights might be missing some elements depending on the add-on makers diligence. One area it doesn't do so well in my view is its user interface in regard to the aircraft state. The user is not invited to specify the state of the aircraft in the free flight dialogue and the state that the aircraft arrives in is determined by the add-on programmers. In my view the user should be able to specify the location/state of the aircraft from the choices below:
a) parked - cold & dark
b) parked - engines off/some systems operative
c) parked - engines running/all systems operative
d) on runway - engines running/all systems operative
e) in the air - engines running/all systems operative*
*If the state is e) you might allow the user to specify the start point/altitude/velocity
As it is the simulator will let you load an aircraft on the runway in state a) which is ridiculous. In real life aircraft are only in state a) for the first flight of the day, after storage, after some types of maintenance or if there was a big gap in the flight schedule. As far as I know most pilots find their plane in state b) as usually another crew has recently landed. For a flight simulator all the user needs to arrange before flight is:
1. Model of aircraft I wish to fly
2. Location of aircraft (parked/runway/in air)
3. Airport (parked/runway) or map location (in air) I wish to fly from
4. State of aircraft if parked a)-c)
5. Weather conditions
6. Time and season
FS misses the all important steps 2.- 4. in the free flight section, its approach is to address this in saved flights. The saved flight for default aircraft works well as the state is completely saved. With add-on aircraft you may not be so fortunate. In FS9 I had an add-on Airbus that on re-loading a 'saved' state rendered all the digital gauges blank. Of course if in the guise of purity your free add-on decides all loaded aircraft default to state a) then once you re-load a saved flight at 10km altitude it will close the fuel shut off valves, deactive the electrical system etc. and your saved flight is worthless unless you like practising something real aircrews will never have to face: an aircraft set for long term storage that is somehow up in the air at 10km! This is quite a severe failing of FS: the fact that any aircraft state will be accepted irrespective of its location. You would think some stardard for critical systems could be agreed upon or some advanced option to allow users to selectively choose the loading state. Payware aircraft don't tend to suffer in loading states because this would lead to refunds (or complaints in the case of non-refundable downloads) from customers unable to fly the aircraft. For me although I am grateful for the numerous freeware aircraft available, any aircraft that loads in state a) means I don't fly it often. I suppose the philosophy is to encourage the virtual pilot to learn the aircraft systems necessary to enable flight. For people with limited time or a computer that crashes regularly this philosophy becomes (literally) a non-starter.
Посмотреть профиль Отправить личное сообщение

Saved flights
СообщениеДобавлено: Пн Мар 28, 2016 11:24 Ответить с цитатой
WalterLeo
КВС

Hi:

For default aircraft FS9 can start from the last saved state of flight without problems. Means you can "fly" your default aircraft to an intersection of a STAR at certain speed, altitude, heading, wheight, fuel reserve and all navigation set. Pause the flight and save it. Next session call that flight, select the desired weather and start fly the STAR. Same holds for a SID.

As you have written, problems appear with a non default aircraft. The more complicate the simulation the less satisfactory the results. This holds especially for the compass - and NI or NAS navigation systems. Also other systems may not be initialized like fuel systems or the KLN 90B. The PT Tu-154s need spezial procedures for "hot starts" which sometimes may not work satisfactory. This is a price one pays for "realism" of simulations.

I for myself solved that problem by selecting the aircraft by the time I have for FS. For that I have differnt flights-aircraft-navigation combinations saved in FS. With experience one knows in which state I will "receive" the aicraft and which switches I have to move before "flying". Saving and recalling flights in paused mode helps a lot.

I dont have a great hope that the software cooks will expand their offers beyond that which had already been achieved in FS9 and FSX. The short history of FLIGHT shows that clearly.

Kind regards

Walter

СообщениеДобавлено: Пн Мар 28, 2016 14:17 Ответить с цитатой
voronezh
Курсант

The Project Tupelov Tu-154 is one of my fabourite Russian aircraft that I rarely fly. I have a payware 727 that I fly instead simply because all systems are running. I also fly the SCS Tu-134 which in FS9 form I hardly flew but the FSX version comes with engines running so once I figured out how to save panel states this became a substitute for the Tu-154. I wonder if there are any utilities to enable the saving of all the extra parameters that could make the Tu-154 reload in the state it was saved. Or if there is some FS script that could be written to automate the start up procedure. It is unfortunate that some payware developer hasn't made a Tupolev Tu-154 considering the number of odd freighters and unheard of models they keep producing in great detail. I suppose the fact that it is Russian, a free version exists and it's a complex aircraft makes it a non-starter as a business venture.

FS9 PT Tu-154M HAS panel save/recal device
СообщениеДобавлено: Пн Мар 28, 2016 17:56 Ответить с цитатой
WalterLeo
КВС

Hi:

This device has some limits: You need altitude below you to give time to the engines to spool up, also the compass systems and the NVU system will need attention. Even there is a procedure for having the engines already running on the runway for T.O. But you must do the preflight for the navigation.

If you want to use the complex PB NV navigation of the IL 62: The PT IL 62M doesnt simulate the FE, therefore everything is much easier, also saving/recaling a flight.
Besides that this simulation flies very stable and by the real "book". It has also some of the pitfalls of the real thing like a FD which goes "on strike" if your ILS approach is not on the numbers. An English excerpt of the real INTERFLUG FZHIL62 handbook is also available.

Walter

There are still arguments for using FS9!

Хитрый

СообщениеДобавлено: Пн Мар 28, 2016 19:44 Ответить с цитатой
voronezh
Курсант

The Ил-62M is a wonderful plane but no VC is a little unfortunate. It does have its engines running though. I have thought of buying First Class Simulations Vickers VC-10 which is another reason to keep FS9. I am currently trying to use the Ил-62M manual to see if I can get the autopilot to work on the Ил-86. I must have tried every switch on the Ил-86 to get the autopilot to target a VOR but I have been unsuccessful so far. If only I could follow VORs in the Ил-86 I could go through the sham of a proper flight.

IL 62 M VOR following
СообщениеДобавлено: Пн Мар 28, 2016 19:48 Ответить с цитатой
WalterLeo
КВС

Hi: PT IL 62 M AP does not follow a VOR track only LOC/ILS, GPS, NV-PB and INS.

Walter

PS.: Before buying VC 10 payware try DM flightsim VC10 (no VC) but his Comet has one.

СообщениеДобавлено: Вт Мар 29, 2016 21:01 Ответить с цитатой
voronezh
Курсант

Thats a surprising limitation of the IL-62Ms autopilot. Maybe the IL-86 has the same limitation. Was VOR navigation of limited use in Russia due to its 200 mile range ? Thanks fo the tip about DM flightsim, looks like some excellent freeware available.

IL-62M
СообщениеДобавлено: Ср Мар 30, 2016 12:18 Ответить с цитатой
WalterLeo
КВС

Hi:

As the 62 was a dedicated long distance flyer and could update its NV-PB by RSBN and VOR signals automaticaly and a RMI with NDB and VOR was availble as well a DME so a VOR following seemed not so urgent especially having a navigator onboard who could programe SID and STAR on the NV-PB for flying that procedures automaticaly.
That limitations also applied to the real airplane according to the FZHIL62 manual.
As I understand it for the moment:
The FD vertical needle shows the relation to a VOR track selected if that Navigation radio is active and selected. BUT you have to steer by the heading selector of the AP untill the FD shows neutral (middle position) using the function "KURS" (NOT NAVIG!) of the AP. Means also the AP will not join by itself a VOR track.

Kind regards

Walter

P.S.: Also altitude acquire was not posible with the IL-62ґs AP

Short Range radio navigation Soviet style
СообщениеДобавлено: Вс Апр 03, 2016 12:10 Ответить с цитатой
WalterLeo
КВС

Hi:

The USSR had developed its own Short Range Navigation system (RSBN) which was also used by the military of the Warshow Pact similar to the Western TACAN. The RSBN had a slightly better range and was more acurate than the VOR system. Like TACAN it had advanced functions like DME ARCs and aerea navigation, means it could give course information also to tracks not going from station to station. Even instrument landing was available. For a vast and sparsly populated country quite an asset.

It worked well together with the Soviet prefernce to fly direct via great circle courses, as this form of navigation suits quite better for regions with great magnetic variations., long legs between waypoints or in arctic and polar regions of the earth. The SAMDIM Tu-124 and SCS Tu-134 simulate that funtions via the SRP-box and the KPPM indicator and the compass systems of Tu-104 up to the IL-62 work like in the real airplanes. In the simulation you are limited to 250 stations worldwide, I have created some fictional, additional stations around the Gulf of Mexico and Cuba as well not fictional stations in the former GDR, Poland, CSR and Hungary as it was used by the GDR,s Army. This amendments are available at AVSIM.SU

http://www.avsimrus.com/f/fs2004-sceneries-44/amended-rsbn-stations-for-tu-104tu-114-tu124-tu-134-and-il-62-54919.html?action=download&hl=WalterLeo

The Western airspace organisation and navigation followed the airways philosophy even before VOR was in use, so it depends primarily on the use of radio beacons but creates "hotspots" where traffic piles up and forces pilots to fly longer distances than necessary, eating up part of the traditional benefit of lower fuel burn of Western engines.

Today VORs are in use on the bigger airports but NDBs are available on most airports. On a great circle course UUEE to UHWW of 3468 nm you are overflying not so many VORs.

Kind regards

Walter

Крайний раз редактировалось: WalterLeo (Вс Апр 03, 2016 12:52), всего редактировалось 2 раз(а)

СообщениеДобавлено: Вс Апр 03, 2016 12:45 Ответить с цитатой
voronezh
Курсант

Walter you seem to know alot about Russian navigation systems. For me it is the most confusing part of any aircraft systems. It is always with some trepidation that I switch on an AP in case the plane stalls or decides to dive into the ground. Usually I don't bother with the AP on most aircraft. I am of course missing a big part of the satisfaction of FS and have also lost money in aircraft that detail systems I will never use or understand. GA aircraft that have simpler systems don't appeal to me. I suppose it's just curiosity of what it might be like taking off in a blizzard in a Tri-jet in Antarctica.

Back to Basics
СообщениеДобавлено: Вс Апр 03, 2016 13:01 Ответить с цитатой
WalterLeo
КВС

To understand navigation problems one has to start with the basics as every real pilot had to start with. In FS there is a "flight shool" where the principles are shown. Its a good idea to look into that a little as the satisfaction of simflying is greater after doing that.

Kind regards

Walter

Flight Simulator 9/X flight startup
 Список форумов Project Tupolev Team » Hangar Talk