WWW.PROTu-154.org
Project Tupolev Team Forum Index Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Project Tupolev Team Forum Index » Project Tupolev Support Forum (English) » Tu154M - Upper FE Panel. Full labelling of all swittches. Goto page 1, 2  Next
Tu154M - Upper FE Panel. Full labelling of all swittches.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 23:39 Reply with quote
martinlest

I have been trying to identify all the switches on the upper FE panel - and have almost got there ( I think!!), with help from previous posters of course. Would appreciate a bit of help though now!

By the way, I have installed the replacement OH-FE panel from AVSIM.ru. I guess a lot of the switches aren't fully functional, but they do add an extra dimension of realism.

What I have so far is in the screenshots below.

My specific questions are as follows:

9 'Thvost'? Maxmik says 'temperature of APU compartment'. What does moving the switch to the up 'signal' position do?

BTW, what does the heading 't* x OTCEKA' refer to ('OTCEKA' is 'bay' or 'compartment'?)?

12 Waste Water Probe Heat switch. Difference between UP and DOWN positions?

15 'ITV - The indicator of correct time'. When the switch is up, (the indication is 'MSRP (Flight Data Recorder) Feed)', the ITV gauge lights up and shows at first a row of zeros:the minutes and (presumably later) hours counters start going up - but the buttons below don't seem to change anything though. What are they for? They each have a separate 'action point'.

19 Marked ' '. Google translates this as 'Neutral gas include when landing with landing gear'. In aviation terms, that is to say?? (I guess most pilots do what they can to land using the landing gear!).

20 TenderCat said 'Principal - before actuation BCY to switch on power supply'. But when you have the switch in the OFF position, there is an orange warning light which refers to '' - What is ? I found it could be the SDR (Software Defined Radio) or possibly the SPZ-1A (flaps system): if you switch this to ON (), you get messages on what I have labelled 'd' in the screenshot, ' ' ('Fuel - also translates as 'combustible' or 'firing' - Closed') and you can then activate all the fire extinguisher buttons. So I guess it's the master switch for the Fire panel functions??

21/22 Marked 'Ground Control System' () above, if my translation is OK. No.21 from OFF position then round 1,2,3,4,5,6,Fire. Above it is marked ' ' = groups of sensors (?). Why 1-6? No.22 just says '' (bay/compartment). Anyone able to say what this refers to more specifically? What is No.22 sensing when you select Eng1,2,3 or APU?

28 ' - / ' = Test - Low/High pressure. This switch is between the power switches for the aural warning alerts, but can't have anything to do with them with that description? What is this switch testing?

36 = "Scoreboard" (UP is night, DOWN is day). What is the 'scoreboard' here?

n Warning light is labelled ('Dashboard' is the best I can get). Again, not sure what that is referring to.

If anyone has the time and inclination, maybe they could check the other entries. I (and my pal Google: I can read Russian, but I don't understand much of it!) not only translated the terms I found but looked them up in context in aviation articles (mostly in Russian too). I think they are OK, but comments appreciated.

BTW, re. earlier thread about messages in Russian popping up at the end of flights, I still haven't found a brake fan switch... I don't want to lose that quarterly bonus!!! Is it perhaps No5 in the screenshot??

Many thanks,

Martin

Last edited by martinlest on Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:50; edited 2 times in total

Upper FE Panel.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  157.01 KB
 Viewed:  8692 Time(s)

Upper FE Panel.jpg

Screenshot_043.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  191.29 KB
 Viewed:  8692 Time(s)

Screenshot_043.jpg

Switchology
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 08:46 Reply with quote
WalterLeo

Hi Martin:

For the addon deice system we dont provide service, as it is not a PT addon. As FS9 weather doesnt simulate icing properly the addon doesnt make much sense.

The fire panel is also more an optical candy as emergencies are not simulated by the PT-Tu-154M.
Switch 19 refers to an unique detail of the Tu-154s:
Its belly tank compartment could be flooded by a gas to prevent a fire in the case of gear up landings.

The thvost signal system is a fire warning for the two compartments where the APU is situated. Seems to avoid problems which led to a LOT IL-62 crash, in which similar compartments containing deicer fluid cought fire and there was no information to the pilots that their airplane was burning preventing so a timely emergency landing. The system should be switched on before APU start.

The fires: all are not simulated

The other switches can be identified with that programe:

http://www.fspanelstudio.com/

as most gauges names are in English.

The switch for the brake fan is No. 5 on your screenshot.

Kind regards

Walter

Brake fan switch.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  95.5 KB
 Viewed:  8653 Time(s)

Brake fan switch.JPG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:25 Reply with quote
martinlest

Thanks for the comments. I have already looked at the panel in FS Panel Studio, but it is reliant of course on the original gauge names and so you still get terms like 'thvost' there, which haven't helped much in identifying them..

I know parts of this panel are not simulated, as I mentioned. But I don't agree with you Walter that the addon 'doesn't make much sense' as it adds a visual element from the real plane that is missing in the PT aircraft. OK, the switches do nothing in practice, but most FS aircraft, from Microsoft's own to PMDG, are complete with their fair share of dummy switches..

I am checking up further on the other switches I questioned. I have found some relevant stuff and will post back the full descriptions when I am finished. Some may be interested to know about this...

Regards,

Martin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 14:16 Reply with quote
martinlest

OK, found detailed technical manuals for the Tu154M (all in Russian, but with Google..). I think that the following is about right. (Note I have removed 'n' and 'o' from my screenshots - no function at all in the a/c, so 'Toilet Engaged' is now 'n'. (I preferred it as 'p', but never mind!!)

Will post any amendments..

1. Gear Indicator
2. Cabin/Cargo Doors panel
3. Wing Lights switch
4. Door Heat switch
5. Gear/Brake Fans switch
6. Water Level Power switch
7. Water Pumps switches 1 & 2
8. APU Temperature Test switch
9. APU Temperature Probe
10. Pressurisation: Heater Power switch
11. GPWS Test Lights
12. Waste Water Probe Heat switch
13. Waste Water Probe test switch
14. Water Level Check
15. FDR Timer Power switch
-----------------------------------------------
Fire Protection System
Control/Warning Lights:
a - Smoke Alarm 1
b - Smoke Alarm 2
c - Fire Alarms 1, 2 & 3
d - Freon Valves closed
e - Engine Fire/Overheat
f - Freon Flow
g - Fire System Armed
16. Freon Valves 1, 2 & 3
17. Engines 1, 2 & 3 Fire Extinguishers
18. APU Fire Extinguisher
19. APU Compartment Gas Flood
20. Fire System Arming switch
21. Fire System Sensor Test selector 1
22. Fire System Sensor Test selector 2
23. Fire panel test switch 1
24. Fire panel test switch 2
25. Fire panel test switch 3
26. Warning Horns Power switch
27. Warning Horn (1) ON/OFF switch
28. Cabin Pressure Warning Test
29. Warning Horn (2) ON/OFF switch
Anti-Icing System
Control/Warning Lights:
h - SO-121 (De-icing Unit) Fault
i - SO-121 ON
j - Slats
k - Engines 1, 2 & 3
l - Flaps
m - Wings
n - Toilet Engaged
30. SO-121 Power switch
31. Slats Heater Power switch
32. Engines 1, 2 & 3 Heater Power switches
33. Wing Heater Power switch
Lighting Panel
34. Main Panel
35. FE Panel
36. Annunciator Lights in the Cockpit
37. Cargo Bays 1 & 2
38. Tech Bay
39. Gear Bay

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 00:00 Reply with quote
sLYFa

point d " Freon Valves closed " is not exactly correct. But this is not your fault.
The russian labeling in point d is wrong. It should say "engine fuel cut-off valves closed", as these lights indicate whether the fuel cut-off valves are closed or not. Instead it says what you translated it to.
You can see the lights go out as you open the fuel cut-off valves.
I believe the labeling is correct in v2.04

Question of motivation
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 08:27 Reply with quote
WalterLeo

martinlest

My main interest in airplane simulation is function "how it is flown". Therefore an add on without function may be nice but not more. But I accept there are other motivations too....

Regarding the warning horn: There are two switches because one activates the gear warning the other all other warnings. Has to do with the procedure of loweruing the gear before the flaps, which is standard practice for the Tu-154. As there are crews which want or must lower first the flaps, they can switch off the gear warning, if not it would sound (very loud) all the way down to short final.

Kind regards

Walter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:30 Reply with quote
martinlest

Thanks both for the replies. I will go back and have another look at 'point d'. (There is a version 2.04??).

I think that is it good Walter to have the FS aircraft resemble reality as much as possible. Not to have the upper overhead panel at all seems less desirable than having it there but only partially (or even, not) functioning. I agree, it would be better to have all the switches there working as in the real plane, but as I go through standard procedures/checklists I like to have things as close to the real-world aircraft as possible: for me, better to throw a switch that does nothing, if that is part of the real procedure, than find it's not even there. But as you say, people have their own preferences.

Yes, I read about the practice of lowering the gear before flaps when I started reading about these planes. I tend not to lower the gear until I am at the very least established on the localiser, usually not until I am at 'one dot up'. I turn off the horn warning as soon as it starts to sound.

Martin

Realism
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 13:59 Reply with quote
WalterLeo

martinlest

Quote:
but as I go through standard procedures/checklists

Lowering the gear before the flaps was standard procedure in the Russian way of flying, the aviation scientist and flight instructors had their reasons to demand that: e.g. speed control is easier and speedbrakes needed not be used, the airplane flies more stable (less sideslip), something what is already out cannot be forgotten, especially if the gear is very stable but moves complicated and slow as in Russian airplanes.
Even the AP had its saying in that , as glide path intercept was switched off without the gear down, at least it was so in the IL 62 (also in the PT-IL 62M).
Other aspects like fuel saving or noise avoidance were not so important.
In Western airplanes often the flaps have to be lowered long before the gear, because their wings would stall at pattern speed while clean, not so in the Tu-154M: This airplane can be flown clean at 380 km/h in the turn to final at maximum landing weight.
So one has too look at the overall picture.

Walter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 14:28 Reply with quote
sLYFa

link to v2.04 http://5gb.net/xw8h3dh6xcxf
its still beta and has a few known bugs. The most annoyoing IMO is that the Artificial Horizon in the VC stoped showing the Pitch angle. However, its still functional in the 2D cockpit.
This version has also some bug fixes and new features, e.g. duct temperature rising above critical temp on activating the Air conditioning system has been fixed and there are more switches accesible through the joystick configuration gauge.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 15:05 Reply with quote
martinlest

Many thanks for the link - my searches after I read your post didn't locate it. I don't use the VC, so I'll give the update a try.

Yes, you are right in what you say Walter. In fact, what I said isn't true - I do with these Russian planes more or less let the gear down once I get the warning horn (you get it when you reduce the throttles beyond a certain point, so you cannot decelerate without having the warning go off) since I am aware that that is how things function in the real world. It just seemed a bit odd at first, being basically a 'Boeing man'!! (I am sure many non-pilots play the 'game' of 'Could I really fly this plane?' Though I feel I have got the hang of the PT aircraft pretty well now, I wouldn't stand a chance of landing a real one; whereas I honestly think I'd have a fighting chance with a 737-700. Maybe I should practise more with my Tupolevs!!).

Martin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 18:15 Reply with quote
martinlest

sLYFa....

OK, I installed the 2.04 update, and the warning lights 'd' are now labelled differently ( - Closing the Fuel Valve, as you say) and show the logical indication ' '.

The lights in 'd' come on when you move switch 20 to the position. The light above it, 'g', , goes out at the same time. The one thing I am still unclear about is what the refers to, when switch 20 is down and off...

Thanks,

Martin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 18:25 Reply with quote
martinlest

.. any connection??

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?sa=X&tbm=isch&tbnid=FnkwdSVlkCWSTM:&imgrefurl=http://vk.com/boxspz&docid=EsrGbvUIEw4zoM&imgurl=http://cs412620.vk.me/v412620337/28fa/PLpLWHHIQ04.jpg&w=604&h=453&ei=ijNUUsT0EsOx0AX_8oG4BQ&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:48,s:0,i:235&iact=rc&page=2&tbnh=177&tbnw=239&start=38&ndsp=35&tx=107&ty=82&biw=1760&bih=955

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 18:30 Reply with quote
sLYFa

switch 20 is the fire protection system power switch.
While in the down position, the fire protection system is unpowered and thus no light there is functional, so even when your fuel cut-off valves are closed the lights will not go on as they are unpowered. Fliping the switch into rabota postion poweres the system and the lights go online.

Im not 100% sure what stands for (mayb " "?), but its definetly a russian abbreviation for fire protection system.
The lamp above switch 20 says "turn on fire protection system". Once you flip switch 20 and thereby turn on the fire protection system the light goes out.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 18:31 Reply with quote
sLYFa

martinlest wrote:
.. any connection??

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?sa=X&tbm=isch&tbnid=FnkwdSVlkCWSTM:&imgrefurl=http://vk.com/boxspz&docid=EsrGbvUIEw4zoM&imgurl=http://cs412620.vk.me/v412620337/28fa/PLpLWHHIQ04.jpg&w=604&h=453&ei=ijNUUsT0EsOx0AX_8oG4BQ&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:48,s:0,i:235&iact=rc&page=2&tbnh=177&tbnw=239&start=38&ndsp=35&tx=107&ty=82&biw=1760&bih=955

lol definetly not

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 21:32 Reply with quote
martinlest

" ".. May be; certainly logical.

One positive thing from all this is that I am starting to be able to read these Russian terms and understand them without resorting to Google! I had a 'party trick' several years back of being able to count to 50 in Russian, and write the numbers down (in words, not digits!!) as I did so. Impressed some Russian friends of mine anyway! I am getting back into practice, thanks to Project Tupolev. (I just love the sound of Russian & so wish I could speak it - I am a big Shostakovich/Prokofieff/Mussorgsky/Tchaikovsky opera fan!)...

Tu154M - Upper FE Panel. Full labelling of all swittches.
 Project Tupolev Team Forum Index » Project Tupolev Support Forum (English)