WWW.PROTu-154.org
Project Tupolev Team Forum Index Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Project Tupolev Team Forum Index » PT Ilyushin Il-62M Support Forum » Il-62M VOR Navigation
Il-62M VOR Navigation
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 15:56 Reply with quote
Biesse
КВС

Hi guys!
How can I intercept a VOR radial with autopilot in Il-62M? I can't seem to find any autopilot mode willing to do that for me. I know where the NAV radios are located and I've set the correct frequency and radial. The HSI needle moves and I can intercept it manually or using the heading mode. Any help is appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 01:01 Reply with quote
Eduardo Rocha
Курсант

Hello, well you can't so... only INS or KLN90. Both of them are pretty reliable once you get used to them Улыбка .

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:55 Reply with quote
WalterLeo
КВС

Biesse

As IL 62M - this former Russian Queen of the skies - was designed for long distance flying in a differnt environement as western airplanes her navigation was basically based on the NV-PB system, which is much more capabable as the NVU system of the Tu-154. It was used also for SID and STAR procedures, even traffic circuits, and could be corrected automatically by RSBN and VOR stations. For practical people as the Russians are there was no need to install an additional, seperate computer for VOR navigation. LOC and Glideslope could be coupled to the AP, as the NV-PB, the GPS and the INS. Look into the manual p. 44-83. If you want to steer a VOR track or radial without the navigation systems, you must do it by yourself. But that would meen leaving aside a good flightpreparation via NAVCALC and the very capable systems at hand falling back to a secondary system (in russian designphilosophy for the IL 62).
Finally as Russia is a vast sparsly populated country where radiobeacons dont abound and pilots dont hopp from one VOR to the next creating traffic pile ups around the crossings navagation was mostly direct following greatcircles.

Kind regards
Walter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 19:26 Reply with quote
Biesse
КВС

Thanks for your answers, this clears things a lot.

If VOR intercept is out of the question, I presume the best way to fly VOR approaches and holding patterns is by hand or with heading mode. Are there any better ways to do that?

By the way, do they still use NV-PB for navigation in Russia/CIS area?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 01:56 Reply with quote
Kirill
КВС

If I remeber Right, The only system linked to autopilot in real Il-62 is NV-PB. All other is for control purpoces only(may be I-21 is linked too). ->The unsver will be "yes", they do.

Holdings and VOR approaches on AP or NV-PB
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 15:07 Reply with quote
WalterLeo
КВС

Hi!

Not long ago there was a similar discussion about that regarding the Tu-154M.

Holdings:

380 km/h would be a holding speed with clean wings in the IL 62M according to the manual. Its near to the minimum speed with clean wing (320 km/h). In a rate one standart holding pattern you need 30 deg bank at 380 km/h, the heading mode of the AP will not deliver a 30 deg bank, therefore you must do that with the turn knob of the AP or by hand.

VOR approaches:
These approaches are published and have minimums according to the pararmeters of the radio beacon at hand and the local situation of the airport. In theory one could use the NV-PB, the GPS or INS to programe the final approach course from the fix to the runway.
But doing that in a makeshift way is unlegal and dangerous in real flying. The integrity and tolerances of the used equipment are not measssured or guaranteed. The use of AP (and AT) can hinder the situational awareness of the crew and making disappear the inherent warnings of something going amiss.

Even in professional flying (not only to the private pilots trying to make up their lack of training with fancy equiment) serious accidents happened by using long-range navigation equipment and/or AP AT for approaches and landings. (e.g. AA 965 at Cali (still "on" the STAR but wide off), Polish Airforce 101 (this an NDB approach) and the Strassbourg Crash of an Air Inter AB 320 whose pilots mixing up descent rate and glide angel on a AP coupled VOR-approach).

Therefore if you want to fly a VOR approach in the IL 62M on autopilot you can try to do that in the simulator programming the long range equipment, but you do that in a nonprofessional and dangerous manner.

P.S.: There are now beeing published VOR approaches, which can be flown legally by GPS. This is another matter, but need GPS boxes which are approach-rated.

Walter

Il-62M VOR Navigation
 Project Tupolev Team Forum Index » PT Ilyushin Il-62M Support Forum