WWW.PROTu-154.org
Project Tupolev Team Forum Index Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Project Tupolev Team Forum Index » Hangar Talk » Tupoleve Tu-144 Flight Characteristics
Tupoleve Tu-144 Flight Characteristics
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 06:06 Reply with quote
L'aviateur
Курсант

Zdrastvweetya! I love the recent Tu-144 that has been produced and was wondering about the climb characteristics of this bird. Mainly, is it more efficient to use a step climb or to go straight up.

Spaseba,

L'Aviateur

Climb in the TU-144
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:57 Reply with quote
WalterLeo
КВС

I have not flown yet the new edition, but in the last one (by Thomas Ruth and Claudio Mussner) there already worked the funny instrument right of the ADI, which looks like a drawing of center of gravity, but its the instrument to guide your climb, the trick is to stay between the red lines modulating speed and climbrate. The red lines left and right define the "coffin-corners" of its flight envelop.
They say a deltawing cannot stall, yes but it can enter into a stage of flight, where the wing at high alpha has more brakingforce than engine-power available.

Thanks to the manual of that older version it became clear how to climb using that instrument. The main trick is: stay between the lines and modulate continously speed and climbrate by pitch and watch your AoA. AND PRACTICE PRACTICE...
Last to say: The climb seemed trickier than even the landing! Because you have to climb and accelerate at the same time at the edge of the stratossphere in very thin air.

Regards

Walter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 23:54 Reply with quote
Fabo
КВС

That would be so-called 2nd regime of flight. Not too good to get there, and it is very unstable regime. If you have ever seen a fighter on ridiculously high AoA doing slow fly-by on almost full power, this is what they are balancing out.

Peter Fabian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 13:03 Reply with quote
Quax
Правак

Hallo Walter!

May be you have as Austrian a special affinity to the Saab J35(OE) Draken. There is a very awesome and lovingly made version of this double delta A/C with six Austrian Airforce liveries and special austrian model available at

http://flightsim.bookmark.se/

Although good performances at a wide speed range the Draken is sensitive to AoA. At about 15° you can experience a superstall and get to know how to fly a brickyard - you need at least 15.000ft to recover (if it at all Хитрый ). Or perform a 'Cobra', starting with this aerobatic figure at about M.85 as the Draken was one of the first to show this repeatedly.

Usually I have no military A/C in my FS - but the J35 is to pretty to be kept off the door.

Servus - and have fun with some more practical experience Улыбка

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 15:43 Reply with quote
WalterLeo
КВС

Quax

Thanks for the Link, didnt have it in my hangar!

Pugaschevs cobra:

I once saw it performed by the SU-30, but not only the cobra also a barrel-roll backwards!!!! Слёзы
This russian pilot did with the Su-30 (22 tons or something) acrobatics like the late aerobatic world-champion Stroessenreuther in his ZLIN. Impressive.
About Drakens successor the EUROFIGHTER is much fuss in Austria. It came out that out of the fleet of 15 planes for the moment only 1 (one) is at combat ready status. Never heard that about the DRAKEN, and shure woudnt be the case with a MIG 29.

Saludos Servus
de LOWW
Walter

Tupoleve Tu-144 Flight Characteristics
 Project Tupolev Team Forum Index » Hangar Talk