WWW.PROTu-154.org
Project Tupolev Team Forum Index Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Project Tupolev Team Forum Index » Hangar Talk » Books about Russian Civil Aviation
Books about Russian Civil Aviation
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 23:12 Reply with quote
mikealpha
Site Admin

Here are some remarks and recommendations for books (all in english) about Russian civil aviation. If you have some recommendations to add, please do !

The bad news first, there is no special book about the Tu-154 available yet, at least I don't know any. There was a picture book available by Colin Ballantine (64 pages with only pictures), but it appears to be sold out mostly.
The good news is, some very nice other books exist. Most of the books are published by Midland Publishing in the UK, so I found most of them via Amazon UK. But your local bookstore might locate them as well. Here we go : :

1. Tupolev, the man and his Aircraft by Andrej Kandalow and Paul Duffy, 1996, ISBN Number : 1560918993

233 pages, numerous pictures, very nice book about the history of Tupolev starting with the ANT-1 up to the recent Aircraft. Due to the big number of different Aircraft, the info about individual planes is a bit limited (e.g. 7 pages about the Tu-154 plus a production list), but it's an interesting reading.

2. Russian Airlines and their aircraft by Yefim Gordon and Dmitry Komissarov, 2004, ISBN: 1857801768

160 pages, lots of full colour pictures, illustrating the types of each carrier and the various liveries. History and fleet details are provided for each airline. Well done, good quality, much recommended if you like such kind of reference book.

3. OKB Ilyushin: A History of the Design Bureau and Its Aircraft , 2004, by Yefim Gordon, Dmitry and Sergey Komissarov, ISBN: 1857801873

This is my favourite regarding the sheer amount of info. 360 pages and around 700 original photos and many three-side-views. Very, very detailed, a LOT of information about the various types and background information. This is much recommended !

4. Then there is the Aerofax series by Dmitry Komissarov/Yefim Gordon. If you do a search on "Komissarov" at the known bookstores, you will find them. These are special books about individual planes, mostly around 150 pages. Again very, very detailed information. Available so far are : An-2, An-24/26/30/32, Antonov Heavy Transports, Il-18/20/22, Il-76 and Tu-134. I have only one of them (Tu-134), but assume the others have similar quality. I hope there will be a book in this series about the Tu-154 in future.

A lot of books with tons of fascinating information and pictures !! That's it so far Улыбка

Last edited by mikealpha on Sat Nov 20, 2004 00:02; edited 4 times in total

tupolev.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  38.21 KB
 Viewed:  1617 Time(s)

tupolev.jpg

russairl.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  62.48 KB

russairl.jpg

ilyushin.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  36.58 KB

ilyushin.jpg

Michael

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 23:24 Reply with quote
TenderCat
Komthur

Dima Komissarov for a long time persuades me to write the book about That - 154, and I while refuse, as I consider(count), that I have not enough of materials, and a lot of time is necessary :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 00:00 Reply with quote
mikealpha
Site Admin

Oh yes, looking at some of the books, I can imagine how difficult and time consuming it must be to get all material together and to write it.

Several years ago only books about military planes were available here. So it's very good now more and more books about Civil Aviation are published and translated for the many fans here Улыбка

Michael

Books about Russian Civil Aviation
 Project Tupolev Team Forum Index » Hangar Talk