WWW.PROTu-154.org
Project Tupolev Team Forum Index Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Project Tupolev Team Forum Index » Project Tupolev Support Forum (English) » TU154M Questions
TU154M Questions
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 13:41 Reply with quote
martinlest

Now that I seem to have 'mastered' the Tu154B-2 (i thought, back in 2005, that I had done so, but have learnt a lot revisiting the aircraft after a gap of some years), I hope it's OK for me to bundle any questions I have about the 154M here under one thread. There are a lot of similarities between the 154B-2 and the 154M, so most things should be OK. In any case, I'll try to keep questions here to a minimum (and I always search the pdf file and the posts here first - though I may well miss stuff of course)...

OK, first question: Why are the widescreen panels and 'normal' panels so different? I had thought that they would only differ in size and aspect, but no, the gauges show huge variations between the two panels.

For reference, I use a Hanns.G 28" (aspect 16x10) monitor to show FS9 (I don't fly the Tupolevs in FSX), and a second slightly smaller monitor to show FS Navigator. So I am using the widescreen panel.

Second question: I can't find the fire panel anywhere (screenshot). Maybe I have an old pdf manual, or this doesn't exist in the widescreen panel? If it does, where is the clickspot?

My pdf manual shows (p.43) an FE panel with a blank area across the top with clickspots A, B & C. My FE panel has no such black area. I am guessing that the pdf is not for v.2.03???

Anyway, help appreciated, as ever. I flew from St Petersburg to Petropavlovsk-Kamchatski, in about a dozen hops (airports mostly courtesy of avsim.ru) in the Tu143B-2. I am going to go back to St Petersburg in the same way, but in the 154M, so it'll be once again an intensive learning curve..

Martin

Fire.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  94.35 KB
 Viewed:  5778 Time(s)

Fire.jpg

Fire panel
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 15:38 Reply with quote
WalterLeo

The fire panel is on the upper part of the FE panel (right of the first screenshot and looks now different) but there is also an overhead engineers panel:

See screenshots of the WIDE-SCREEN-PANEL

If you download the demo version of FS-Panel Studio you can look around the panels without delay.

Kind regards

Walter

firepanel.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  49.24 KB
 Viewed:  5769 Time(s)

firepanel.JPG

clickspot eng ov er.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.7 KB
 Viewed:  5772 Time(s)

clickspot eng ov er.JPG

clickspot back to engpanel.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  73.3 KB

clickspot back to engpanel.JPG

Clickspot back to mainpanel.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  24.39 KB

Clickspot back to mainpanel.JPG

Wide Screen why so different?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 15:54 Reply with quote
WalterLeo

Easy answer: On the wide panel the developers could show more realisticly the Captains and the Flight engineers panel, more like in the real airplane.

Kind regards

Walter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 16:53 Reply with quote
martinlest

Yes, your screenshots correspond exactly to what I have in FS. So my picture (taken from the 154M manual) is of a panel that no longer exists then..

The widescreen panels are, indeed, more impressive. I am looking forward to getting to grips with the 154M (have never flown it before) and heading back west across Russia!

Ver. 2.03 explained
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 19:50 Reply with quote
WalterLeo

Hi Martin:

Please see that:

http://www.protu-154.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11696&highlight=ver

its quite a long thread but it explains nearly everthing what is different in ver. 2.03 and is not in the documentation.

Kind regards

Walter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 18:52 Reply with quote
martinlest

Well, I am almost there I think. I have gone through the manual (and have created a visual startup guide for the 154M, like that for the 154B-2 which I did a few weeks ago (text and pictures). Will post it as a 'beta' for comment soon)..

I have a few questions though.

In the OH panel, the first white switch on the bottom row (after the red capped switch which doesn't open), it's No.20 in the manual - what does it do? It's wrongly labelled in the manual (NAV1 and NAV2 switches are the ones next to the right, No21).

Next, the manual says (FE panel, No14/15), "Set a suitable Air Duct Cooling Temperature (eg -10degs). What is this? Why so low, -10 degs?

In the engine startup procedure, all main generator switches are activated. But in the section about the electrics (p152), the text says that Gen2 is only used for Wing Anti-Icers. That means, I take it, that generator 2 is turned on after engine startup, but that it only comes into play during de-icing (rather than the pilot doesn't turn Gen2 on until anti-icing is needed)?

Yet more: I don't seem to have a 'TCAS Control Device'. Shift+6 (as per the manual p.61) opens the Upper OH panel. I can't find a clickspot and the icon panel has no TCAS icon in it (unlike the one in the manual). TCAS is window 12 in the panel.cfg file, so I can't open it from the keyboard either. How do I set TA/RA and activate the TCAS system?

Finally, when you click at the top of the pressurisation panel (and "find the device to set the absolute pressure..."), how do I choose the value to put into the gauge that pops up? Why 650 mm/Hg, as suggested in the manual?

I think that's all for now! I've got the a/c to the runway with no warning lights (clear for takeoff) and the AP looks the same as the 154B-2 (any differences?). Flight controls are set and working (with Saitek X52), so I'll be trying my first ever 154M flight later today or tomorrow! Can't wait ...

Isn't it wonderful (some would say 'sad', I know!) that FS still gets us excited, even after over 10 years of flying it! :-)

Thanks....

Martin

Some answers
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 09:29 Reply with quote
WalterLeo

martinlest

Quote:
In the OH panel, the first white switch on the bottom row (after the red capped switch which doesn't open), it's No.20 in the manual - what does it do? It's wrongly labelled in the manual (NAV1 and NAV2 switches are the ones next to the right, No21).

Electric Altimeter Switch

Quote:
Next, the manual says (FE panel, No14/15), "Set a suitable Air Duct Cooling Temperature (eg -10degs). What is this? Why so low, -10 degs?

From that temp depends the effectivness of the air condition, but under normal (European) outside tempratures you can use outside temprature on ground also. If inside gets too hot or too cool the stewards will tell you that.

Quote:
In the engine startup procedure, all main generator switches are activated. But in the section about the electrics (p152), the text says that Gen2 is only used for Wing Anti-Icers. That means, I take it, that generator 2 is turned on after engine startup, but that it only comes into play during de-icing (rather than the pilot doesn't turn Gen2 on until anti-icing is needed)?

All main generators are on at all times and the system automatically distributes the loads. Emergencies are not simulated.

Quote:
Yet more: I don't seem to have a 'TCAS Control Device'. Shift+6 (as per the manual p.61) opens the Upper OH panel. I can't find a clickspot and the icon panel has no TCAS icon in it (unlike the one in the manual). TCAS is window 12 in the panel.cfg file, so I can't open it from the keyboard either. How do I set TA/RA and activate the TCAS system?

In the wide panel TCAS is activated and handled by the TCAS-PULT right low at the Captains Panel. The window you mentioned is only the indicator enlarged and it is the same as is right of the ADI. It popps up by itself if traffic is nearing dangerously. You close it by clicking on it (close window?)

Quote:
Finally, when you click at the top of the pressurisation panel (and "find the device to set the absolute pressure..."), how do I choose the value to put into the gauge that pops up? Why 650 mm/Hg, as suggested in the manual?

650 mm/HG is the choice to keep the pressure differential within the design limits up to the max altitude. Opening the mentioned before startup the gauge shows the actual QFE. If that value is lower than 650 mm/hg leave that value as it is and after departure change to 650 mm/hg.
But keep in mind the Tu-154M can only depart from airports lower than 2501 m MSL. Means you can not depart from El Alto La Paz Peru. If you try it, the pressurization of the cabin won´t work till you descent to a lower altitude and the pressure-automatic will take over.
Before opening the doors you should select the QFE of the landing airport. Good question as FS9 gives only QNH: You have to play with the altimeters to find the QFE or use a formula our "flightinstructor" Bell gave us in the thread "Hot and High":
For calcutaing over QNH to QFE you divide airport elevation (in meters) into 11 meters and deduct this number from QNH value.

If at MMMX, for example, QNH=1000 hPa=750 mm Hg and elevation is 2230 meters than QFE will be equal to 547 mm Hg. (750-2230/11).

http://www.avsimrus.com/f/fs2004-utiliti-45/gadzhet-dlya-kneeboard-simulyatora-dlya-samoleta-ty-154m-12841.html

Quote:
Isn't it wonderful (some would say 'sad', I know!) that FS still gets us excited, even after over 10 years of flying it! :-)

Know why we are still here?

Kind regards

Walter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:10 Reply with quote
martinlest

A great help. Thank you, as ever, Walter! ("In the wide panel TCAS is activated and handled by the TCAS-PULT right low at the Captains Panel": Got it! I am clearly going blind!!! Crazy )

One thing though, (re. the first question). The switch above the one I was asking about is labelled Electrical Altimeter Power. The one immediately below it isn't the same, surely?

I notice by the way that none of the TCAS switches in the Overhead Panel can be saved 'off', with the switches down. If you save a flight with the switches down and reload the flight (or aircraft), the switches are up again. Same for the Yaw Damper switch on the FE panel. Is that the same in your setup?

Martin

OH switch.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  90.64 KB
 Viewed:  5676 Time(s)

OH switch.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 13:34 Reply with quote
martinlest

I have a question about the MSRP. Just to check the format of the data to be entered. Across the top are the labels:

So, if for example my flight no. is 6789 and I am flying on 31/05/2013? I suppose the nine number from left to right would be 310536789??

There's only one digit to enter under 'Year'? So I just enter '3' for 2013?

Thanks!

Some more
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 16:24 Reply with quote
WalterLeo

Altimeters:

Tu 154M has two altimeters:

UVID: its the non electronic
VBE1M: its the elctronic one switchable m/ft and has altitude announce. The upper switch is for UVID "..AZS_UVID" the lower one "...AZS_VBE_1_M".

The format for entering MSRP flights into TU-154M recorder is this:

month xx day xx flightno X year xxxx

the data file name (in fs9/gauges/ Tu-154M_cfg/MSRP) is :

flightNo x month xx day xx year xxxx.

Means its cumbersome and you will have only 9 flights per day to save.

But: A Tuplovev is not for Everybody!

Kind regards

Walter

VBE1 UVID.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  21.51 KB
 Viewed:  5609 Time(s)

VBE1 UVID.JPG

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 19:14 Reply with quote
martinlest

Then the titles on the MSRP are be wrong? The Russian, on the MSRP in the sim, and the translation is:

... maybe a Russian speaker could confirm this? You sure you got it right Walter? :-)

M.

Not a question of Language
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 08:38 Reply with quote
WalterLeo

There is a bug in the programing of the gauge, it can be seen by the result in the filename cited.
One stumbles over that and the different data format in the filename created makes one still more uneasy, but it is so shure!
I myself found it out by trial and error.

Walter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:56 Reply with quote
martinlest

OK, thanks for the information Walter.

This is mostly for the visual guide I am trying to prepare (which should tally with the 154M checklists). Will post the new 'beta' when it's ready and then, after a quick check here for obvious errors - if you would be so kind - (like the others I have done) will upload to AVSIM.

TU154M Questions
 Project Tupolev Team Forum Index » Project Tupolev Support Forum (English)