WWW.PROTu-154.org
Project Tupolev Team Forum Index Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Project Tupolev Team Forum Index » Hangar Talk » New to Russian Aircraft - Which one first ?
New to Russian Aircraft - Which one first ?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 20:39 Reply with quote
kgscott
Курсант

Hello -

I am new to the project tupolev forum, and very new to Russian Aircraft. I want to thank all of the developers of these incredible models for Flightsim - I am absolutely amazed at the quality and complexity of each.

My goal is to start learning the russian airliners and fly in Russian/Eastern Europe airspace. I know that it will be a challenge.

I have downloaded the TU-154 series (the B2 & M), the IL-62, TU-124 & 134, and the AN-24RV.

My Question: I am wondering if anyone could recommend which aircraft is the best to get started with ? I want to learn all of them of course, and I enjoy reading manuals. I think that the Russian navigation systems will be the most difficult for me to learn, so is there a particular aircraft that is best for learning this (less emphasis on the flight engineer position).

Many thanks for any suggestions.

- Kgs
Kelowna, BC, CAnada

You want to be a pilot not a FI?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 21:48 Reply with quote
WalterLeo
КВС

Hi Kgs!

Welcome onboard!

The 124 has the easiest procedures to fire her up but doesnt have VORs only ADF and RSBN and the NI-50 navigation system. How all this works is best described in the AN 24 manual and in the small introduction with the 124.

The 134 is a step more difficult to fire up, but has VORs and a more capable autopilot.
The IL 62 is the easiest to start but has a very complicated navigation system.

So your easy question has no easy answer.

BUT: If you are not afraid to jump into cold water, start with the 154M, there the manual is comprehensive, it has all its navigation systems coupled to the AP and there is a flightschool. AND: in the forum there are people to help you with the first steps. And with the searchfunction you find a wealth of information in the forum (also for 124,134 etc.)

Have fun

Walter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 23:32 Reply with quote
kgscott
Курсант

Hi Walter,

Thanks for the feedback. I will take your advice and just finished printing the TU-154M & Tu-154B2 manuals yesterday. These panels make the PMDG series seem like "childs play" and I have absolutely know knowledge of the Russian language, but I'm going to get started now anyway!

Any troubles running this on Windows 7 64-bit ? (FS9.1 of course)

Have a great day.

- Ken

Hi Ken!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 20:25 Reply with quote
WalterLeo
КВС

Sadly to say, some of our friends have problems with Windows 7.

http://www.protu-154.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=185909#185909

But a makeshift solution is available thanks to Slava:

Hello, Walter,

Here some time ago I supposed that the problem was in root folder of FS. I have heard that if it has non-english symbols in it's name this can cause a problem with some of sound's gauge. But in this case it was not confirmed.

As I understood in old 2.01 version there was a release version of the gauge that caused problems amongst users. Since 2.02 a debug version of the gauges is included in the package. This is serg_p's words.

So, the possible solution is to retreive this file from older version and try to use it. I have found 2.01 version of the model in our network. Here it is. I hope it will help.
http://5gb.net/2xlvug2rlm7y

Best regards,

Slava.

Besides that, I am happy that you got the meaning of my post: Its worthwhile to try to start with the Tu 154, there all questions of flying the russian way emerge but there is a very comprehensive manual at hand, whats not the case with 134, even all the problems are discussed in the Tu-134 forum.
For me it was not the case: I started with the 154b2 but never got right the installation (the last version was still not out, fiddeld around with the AN 24 Tu 104 and the Tu 134, tried the 124 and then 154M came out and I
started real simflying.

Good Luck and enjoy!

Walter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 01:29 Reply with quote
kgscott
Курсант

Hi again Walter,

Thanks again for the follow up I've downloaded 2.01 and will grab the sound gauge if I have problems at startup - but I am a LONGGGGGG way from engine start right now. While I am reading the TU-154M manual I am googling materials on flying in russia/CIS countries, and playing around with the TU-124.

Have a great day.

- Ken

Atlantic crossing in Tu 104 and 114
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 16:16 Reply with quote
WalterLeo
КВС

look at that:

http://www.protu-154.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11881&highlight=

In general didnt found very exhaustive material about russian navigation less in the forum here. But wikipedia "gridnavigation" or "graetcircelnavigation" "astronavigation" gives an overview, cause all their navigation was flying greatcircel with true headings.

Best regards

Walter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 18:00 Reply with quote
Pipe
КВС

kgscott wrote:
Hi again Walter,

Thanks again for the follow up I've downloaded 2.01 and will grab the sound gauge if I have problems at startup - but I am a LONGGGGGG way from engine start right now. While I am reading the TU-154M manual I am googling materials on flying in russia/CIS countries, and playing around with the TU-124.

Have a great day.

- Ken

After comprehending the Tu-154M, you´ve got a solid base for everything russian flying around.

Hint: Samdim AN-24 is perfect for learning RSBN navigation (even comes with a reasonable manual), the PT IL-62M is imho the ultimate (and most exciting) challenge for russian navigation.

Pipe

Pipeґs Repaints

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 03:07 Reply with quote
kgscott
Курсант

Thanks again Walter & Pipe.

These russian planes are such a challenge, but after a few years of flying the same airplanes that everyone else flies (Boeing's, Airbuses, etc) I knew that there was more out there to fly.

What is the recommendation for creating a route to fly using RSBN navaids ? For example, I am wanting to plan a flight from URKM to UUEE using the Tu-124. Of course, none of the flight planning tools can present the RSBN beacons (I am using fsbuild) - is the only method to plot out a route using the fs flight planner, then import it/export with ncalc (?) ?

Thank you kindly for your help!

- Ken

NAVCALC 5 is the solution
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 15:35 Reply with quote
WalterLeo
КВС

The navcalc5 which comes with Tu-154m is exactly what you need. If you want to fly direct (not from one station to another) you can calculate the distance and bearings of the intersections ("azimuth") with the flightplanner of AN 24 or use a freeware programme like "nautical tools" which is intened mainly for maritime navigation but for that special task its also apt. Sorry its in german, cause its hosted by the German Society for Rescuing Seamen, but its selfexplaining.

Regards

Walter

New to Russian Aircraft - Which one first ?
 Project Tupolev Team Forum Index » Hangar Talk